Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Simple pleasures

I realized again yesterday how wonderful an existence it is to live in the moment and enjoy life's simple pleasures. I was sitting down to a half-pint of ice cream. It was chocolate ice cream with big marshmallow and caramel swirls and chunks of chocolate in it. And it was good.

And life was good, at that very moment, as I sat on my couch.

I am getting closer to being able to enjoy simple things again. I again was reminded of this as I drove to my friend's house tonight. Driving
on a cool (!) summer evening, breeze in my hair, setting sun on my skin, in the fantastic piece of driving machinery that is my car. I am choosing to appreciate more of these moments in which to be happy. And I am happy. I am so blessed with so many simple things-- and the lack of so many bad things, including want, disease, oppression. It is a change, a transformation for me, turning into a being who lives in the present and takes pleasure in the little sensual things like these. I suppose it would be very much like living your life as our pets do. Eat, sleep, and be taken care of; living from moment of need or desire to moment of satisfaction.

And in my little messy townhouse I am happy. I am happy until I remember what I am "missing".

It doesn't really matter what those specific things are. The question at hand for me is do I choose quiet, simple solitude and pleasure in such things? To continue to see and enjoy God, receiving His blessing in these little treats, like pieces of candy? OR. Do I strive for more, pursue great ambitions, chase dreams, follow fairy tales, and continue to be this puzzle piece that "fits in" to the dangerously complicated picture that is the world around me? Is it possible to do both?

Of course, we are not simple beasts like our pets. We were designed for more than living from moment to moment, dedicated to immediate satisfaction of fleshly desires. Our lives are hidden in Christ; it is therefore our inheritance to bear one another's burdens, to lift up those who have fallen, to heal and give and die. So as much as I'd rather sit on my couch watching cartoons and eating ice cream, I guess I'll choose to get off my duff and do something worthwhile. We can all still enjoy those other little things along the way and maybe even share them. Anyone for ice cream?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home