Thursday, September 29, 2005

By request

You're looking at the blog of a woman who has two personal blogs, one group blog, and a comic strip blog. Obviously I think I have so much to say I haven't needed any blog prompts.

We have, however, received a request. We contemplated remaining singular in being the one person Kirk knows who hasn't done this, but we could never resist the temptation of talking about ourself. So, without further ado—

10 years ago
I was a sophomore in college. I was falling in love with music and doing a lot of organic chemistry. I remember camping and cooking meat using nothing but our bare hands and a buck knife, rollerblading every night and everywhere, hating football, and driving my truck, my awesome rockin’ truck. I was wearing flannel and Birkenstocks with thick socks, learning that I could actually sing, and contemplating whether or not turning 18 was a big deal.

5 years ago
I was a 4th yr med student. I was falling in love with my first love, and starting to really feel like a doctor. I remember beginning to dress like a lady and wear makeup regularly, singing and playing (and dancing!) in an indie rock funk band, trying my hand at writing music for the first time, and leading a jazz orchestra.

1 year ago
I was a 3rd yr resident, reminiscing about my trip to Alaska and moping around. I remember trying to decide what subspecialty I’d go into, mentally preparing to say goodbye to friends, interviewing for my current job, and feeling as though I was beginning to live the rest of my life.

Yesterday
I was still awake from the day before. I went to my annual safety training session in the morning, where I learned that the reason I haven't been able to adjust the seatbelt in the helicopter to fit me was not that I didn't know how to work the straps, but that I am just that small. I slept after that. I messed around on the computer. I launched a legendary fight with my brother over instant messenger.

5 snacks I enjoy
1. Star Crunch, of course!
2. Garlic toasted Melba chips and hummus
3. Slices of granny smith apple dipped in caramel sauce
4. Slices of strong, hard parmesan cheese with table water crackers, especially good when eaten along with #3
5. Hot ‘n’ Spicy Cheez-its. Oh my gosh!

5 songs to which I know the words (are you kidding me?)
1. Precious Lord, Take My Hand
2. La Vie en Rose by Edith Piaf (French, not English)
3. The Girl from Ipanema by Antonio Carlos Jobim (English, not Portguese yet, and I used to really hate this song)
4. Crosstown Traffic by Jimi Hendrix

5. Killing Me Softly by Norman Gimbel and Charles Fox

5 things I’d do with $100 million
1. Buy a piano right away
2. Travel, travel, travel
3. Buy some land and build a house on it and supply it with a music room full of all kinds of different musical instruments that I would then get to learn to play and a freakin’ incredible sound system and all the best CDs ever
4. Give some to my family
5. Hoard the rest in savings, but leave it in my will to charitable organizations

5 places to which I’d run away
1. The courts of the Lord
2. Hawaii (did that, would do it again in a heartbeat)
3. The depths of a bottomless, hot cup of coffee, if it weren’t for the darn caffeine and the withdrawal migraines
4. My bed, under the covers
5. A spa (this takes the place of the arms of someone I love)

5 things I’d never wear (this one was hard; my fashion tastes have become so eclectic)
1. A Hooters t-shirt
2. Anything “bohemian”
3. A toe ring
4. Patterned scrubs
5. The huge hideous denim shirt with bizarre appliqued pictures and ruffles on it that my ex-boyfriend’s mother gave me to wear on their farm

5 favorite TV shows
1. Samurai Jack
2. Xiaolin Showdown
3. Extreme Makeover home edition
4. Will & Grace (so ashamed to admit that! but it fascinates me because it’s the opposite of my life; it’s beautiful people doing ugly things)
5. Ambush Makeover
6. Criminal Minds is showing great promise and would go to #3, bumping everything else down a notch

5 biggest joys
1. God
2. Music
3. Food
4. Pleasant surprises
5. Children

5 favorite toys
1. My car, the beautiful Silver Bullet aka the CamoBunnyMobile
2. Words
3. The Darth Vader action figure I bought with Eddie at Toys ‘R’ Us that one day when he bought a stormtrooper too.
4. My Curious George wooden cutout puzzle
5. Steve, my stuffed penguin with the deranged-looking googly eyes that doubles as a CD holder

5 people to whom I would pass this on
1. Nora
2. Sarah M.
3. Priscila
4. Vernon
5. You, unless you’re one of the above, and in that case Ray (you don't have to answer the TV show question) or Emily.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Camobunny, I've been off line for a while and having to catch up on emails and your blog and M's blog and everything else. I'm still checking your blog almost everyday. This morning I have time to make a comment. I hope you don't mind the plagerism (sp?) but I was struck at how similar our lives have been up till yesteray. Here is my little life synopsis from 10 years ago without my favorites and those lists (to spare the length of this comment. Hope you laugh.

10 years ago
I was a sophomore at the University of Oklahoma. I was falling in love with Adam and David and Charles and Pyoter and John and Jamaal and Steve and Glen and Glen and Inukpuk and Ricardo and Ahmed-Punjabi-Ali and doing a lot of organic chemistry. I remember camping and eating raw meat using nothing but our bare hands and a buck knife, running every night and everywhere, hating football, and driving my roommates mad with the number of men at my door, my awesome rockin’ trucker mechanic uncle? (Sorry, I never had a truck or car till a week before graudation.) I was wearing flannel and Birkenstocks with thick socks, learning that I could actually sing harmony sometimes, and contemplating whether or not turning 20 was a big deal.

5 years ago
I was a 4th yr med student. I was falling in love with my only love, nathan, (sigh, and breaking up with him 4 months later on New Year’s Eve) and starting to really feel like a doctor who had to act like she knew what she was doing. I remember beginning to dress like a doctor and wear no makeup regularly, singing and playing the guitar (and dancing!) alone in my bedroom, trying my hand at writing music for the second time—wait that was 2 years ago, and leading nothing close to a jazz orchestra.

1 year ago
I was going to be a 3rd yr resident, and I did reminisce about Camobunny’s trip to Alaska and how fun it was to see her and –M-, and moping around. I remember deciding what subspecialty I’d never go into (hematology or transplant medicine), mentally preparing to say goodbye to friends if it ever came down to it, interviewing doctors for my prognosis in numbers and doctors interviewing me for my bowel consistency and level of nausea, and feeling as though I was beginning to live the rest of my life.

Yesterday

Here’s where it falls apart. I did not stay up all night and had no chance to go in a helicopter- which I ‘ve always wanted to do in Alaska; and I didn’t get into a fight with my brother over the computer. But I did get a dexa scan for the first time and was in a little enclosed box-like thing doing pulmonary function tests while being laughed at by my mom. I was still groggy from the versed and fentanyl mixture the day before. I’m small too. I learned that by looking at my chest xray a year ago. (I know, this sentence belongs in that other section above.)

Fun reading your snap shots of your past 10 years and current favorites and not so favorites. And for those who are just dying to hear what ever happend to me and my only love: marriage of course! Nathan married me 2 years ago. So those of you out there who think you've forever lost your true love, well, if its meant to be it'll happen sooner or later. just pray for sooner. :)

11:08 AM  
Blogger CamoBunny said...

It's striking. Though we have very different personalities our lives really were quite similiar. I guess that's one way we're sisters.

By the way if you'd be willing to do those lists you could send them to me by e-mail. That goes for any of you I mentioned, actually, which would be all of you considering #5.

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home