Sunday, September 25, 2005

What's cookin'

Today finally felt like autumn, with grey skies and misty rain that glazed the dead leaves already covering my sidewalk. It's still in the 70's, but something inside me has been ready for the weather to change for about a week now, so it just seems right for fall.

At the grocery store they were completely out of Campbell's tomato soup. Evidently everyone in the city was thinking the same thing I was: tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. I grabbed a can of tomato bisque and moved on, recalling that there's a potluck party on Friday. What on earth am I going to make?

I hope for the weather to stay the same so that I can make one of my fallback standards. It's so easy and so popular. It's also incredibly American, if you think about it. It's great for college students and families of five alike.

Here's what's cookin' this week at the Prickly Pineapple. Try it with homemade cornbread, or top with shredded cheese and tortilla chips. Enjoy.

TACO SOUP

2 lb. lean ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
3 cans (4 oz. each) chopped green chilis
1 can (16 oz.) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (16 oz.) lima beans
1 can (14.5 oz.) hominy
3 cans (14.5 oz. ea.) stewed tomatoes
1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 pkg. (1¼ oz.) taco seasoning
1 pkg. (1 oz.) Ranch dressing mix
1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. pepper
1½ C water
shredded cheese, tortilla/chips (opt.)


Brown beef and onion; drain fat. Put into large kettle. Add remaining ingredients, bring to boil. Reduce heat, simmer 30 minutes.

3 Comments:

Blogger CamoBunny said...

No. I didn't make up this recipe. I didn't take this picture. I take no credit for their awesome taco-soupiness.

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yum. Lisa wanted to make it recently, but we didn't have ingredients or something like that.

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay...I have been craving your taco soup all month, but didn't know what we did with the recipe. I will save it this time for sure!!! Maybe I'll make it tonight.

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home