Monday, October 24, 2005

Word of the day

Today's word of the day is wherefore.

In defining this word, I like to say that "wherefore" begins a question to which the answer contains "therefore." In parallel to the old exercise

"I see a bear."
"Where?"
"Over there!"

thus runs the Q & A involving these adverbs:

"Thee I abhor."
"Wherefore?"
"... therefore ."

In other words, "wherefore" means "why." It does not mean "where."

Sometimes it is used in the declarative rather than in the interrogative. I think that in those situations one may as well use "therefore," mayn't one?

It may also be used as a noun. Sadly enough, around here I usually hear "whatfor" in its place.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sam Freedom said...

Wherefore are you therefore telling us about this heretofore fact unknown be-fore?

Furthermore...

Sam

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home