Monday, November 28, 2005

Holiday muzak

We could ask you what your favorite Christmas song is. That question usually makes people get all mushy as they start going on and on about the fuzzy memories associated with certain songs.

But no. It would be much more entertaining if you'd tell us...

What's your least favorite Christmas song? Why?

This is not limited to songs that are actually about Christmas— generic winter songs that only get played around Christmas time are also acceptable.

Camodidi and I had a good laugh the other night bashing Peggy Lee's recording of "Jingle Bells"— the one with kids in the background screaming "I LIKE A SLEIGH RIDE!" You know the one.

Other songs on the Prickly Pineapple's stink list are
  • "Deck the Halls" as rendered by Mannheim Steamroller (it's that blasted whole step that makes it disturbing).
  • "Santa Baby." The fake squeaky voice act makes me want to throttle a singer whenever I hear it.
  • Bruce Springsteen's version of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town."
  • "Rockin' around the Christmas Tree,"
  • and today's curse, whose chorus is playing over and over on our loudspeakers today, with a skip sending us back to the most annoying part: "Hey Santaaaaaaaaaa, Hey Santa! Santa..."

We're not being grinchy; the holiday season can be great. It's just that the music can be so bad. So let us know. It's worth a laugh.

Update: Wow, this post has really backfired on me. Now I keep singing the few lines of "Santa Baby" that I know interspersed with some choruses of "Hey Santaaaaaaaa". Here's hoping you've avoided this awful side effect.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ray said...

I've got a winner right here

3:52 PM  
Blogger CamoBunny said...

Ray: Yes, that is bad. I won't rip on it though; that'll be your privilege.

Kirk: You're a good sport; thanks for playing along. I knew you'd play well.

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whatever the song is that goes "pa rum pa pum pum," that one is at the TOP OF THE LIST. I hate it, I truly do.

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home