Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The onion is a dominant life form

Yeah, so I made that recipe. I bought the ingredients. I toasted the pine nuts. I plumped the raisins in chardonnay. I sauteed the spinach to a subtle wilt. Then it came time for the onion. I've never used small onions before. Mince? Out came the food processor. But I had to peel the outer layer off first. I sliced off the top and bottom. Milky white onion juice dripped out. Aw, man. Now my hands will smell like onion for days. I threw the sucker in the food processor and minced it. I stirred it around in the olive oil. Like I said, I made the dish. It looked nice, green and gold and purple and white. Before I wrapped it up to go, I took one bite just to know exactly what to expect.

Onion. The whole dish tastes like onion. I mean, ON-I-ON. My hands smell like onion. My kitchen smells like onion. My whole house smells like onion. I don't even want to know about my breath.

Everyone ate it politely at dinner. No one shunned it nor took any less of it than any of the other dishes. So I have no feedback. My personal opinion of the recipe? It's a good recipe if you like onion. It's also quite good if you get past the onion to the subtlety of the pine nuts and the sweetness of the raisins balancing the spinach.

The lesson for today: cook with a more submissive type of onion. Small yellow onions will dominate you.

So here I am, alone in my apartment, essence of onion pervading my entire existence. Yeah, and pineapple and onion? Not a good combo.

No wonder I can't get a date. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger CamoBunny said...

I'm always hungry after potlucks. So I'm eating the rest of the dish right now. It's not really that oniony. It's actually quite delightful. Would have gone so well with a piccata or marsala. Oh well.

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home