Tuesday, November 15, 2005

What's cookin'

It's potluck time again. Again, I was at a loss as to what I shall make. The main course is pasta with meat in it.

Dude, I don't know.

I usually default to dessert, as I adore making desserts. The creation of a dessert with a beautiful presentation is reward in itself. If it actually tastes good, that's even better. And if you get to eat some yourself, that's the cherry on top.

But today I think it will be vegetables. Why? I don't know. Because I don't know how to make cannoli. Because it's raining which makes me not feel like making cream puffs or eclairs. And it's too late and too cold to start a sorbet or to try my recipe for Guinness ice cream.

There was a certain appeal to the recipe I found for sweet and sour radicchio. I guess the idea of making something with radicchio was kind of sexy. But I decided to go with green leafies instead, because everyone can use more green leafies in their lives. So here's what's cookin' at the Prickly Pineapple this afternoon.

SPINACH WITH PINE NUTS AND RAISINS
(Spinaci con Pinoli e Passerine)

Spinach with pine nuts and raisins is a classic Sephardic dish that appears on tables in Greece, Spain, Turkey, and Italy, where it is a staple on Venetian and Genoese menus. It is a perfect accompaniment to delicate fish or poultry dishes and is often served at room temperature.

2 1/2 pounds spinach
2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
2 small yellow onions or 6 green onions, minced
4 tablespoons raisins, plumped in hot water and drained
4 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste


Rinse the spinach well and remove the stems. Place in a large sauté pan with only the rinsing water clinging to the leaves. Cook over medium heat, turning as needed until wilted, just a few minutes. Drain well and set aside. Add the olive oil to the now-empty pan and place over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the spinach, raisins, and pine nuts and sauté briefly to warm through. Season with salt and pepper and serve warm or at room temperature. Makes 6 servings.

Epicurious.com © CondéNet, Inc. All rights reserved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home