Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Good news

So here is a story on the Eschemo Survivor.

There are some major problems with the writing, the foremost being that they completely butchered Nora's last name, but it's super cool that my friend Dr. Nagaruk had the opportunity to tell a little bit of her story.

She's so awesome. I wish you could see her wedding photo better.

Donate, people. I am not allowed so I'm telling you to. Give blood and sign up for the bone marrow registry.

*Addendum: I e-mailed the news station and they have corrected their misspelling of Nora's last name. I think they had spelled it "Noranagruk" before. I found that pretty funny. Did they e-mail me back to thank me for pointing it out? Noooooo. In return for the no thanks, I will not tell them that the intro makes it sound as though more than 1,000 Alaskans were diagnosed with leukemia last month instead of just Susan Butcher, that her brother spells his name Wil, and that one shouldn't begin a sentence with a conjunction in professional writing. Thhbbbbbpt. :P

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on puffintoad! Thanks camobunny for emailing the news station people. Nathan was going to do it that day, so he was happy you had already done it. Yeah, when we watched the story, Nathan and I laughed out of disbelief. During the interview I thought, "Okay, no one should be butchering our name since we spelled it out, on camera, and pronounced it." It's the worst butchering of Nagaruk I've ever heard. And I wonder if they ever thought it a coincidence that I just so happened to marry a man whose last name contained my first name at the beginning of it. Silly!

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and the last comment at the end of the story made me regret forgetting to directly tell the reporter the difference between a stem cell transplant (which is what I had) and a bone marrow transplant. Blood stem cells are tranplanted in both cases, but the basic difference is how the stem cells are harvested. In a bone marrow transplant, it's as you would imagine: they take the stem cells directly from the marrow, leaving the donor a bit sore in the back of the pelvis. But in a stem cell transplant they give the donor a medication that stimulates the bone marrow to make more stem cells. So much that the stem cells are spit out into the circulation. They collect the stem cells by sticking a needle in the arm, just like donating blood, and running the blood through a fancy machine that removes the stem cells and then returns the red blood cells back to the donor. The story made it sound like Wil had his marrow sucked out, but that was not the case. The only poking he got was in his arm. I did tell the reporter what Wil experienced, but somehow it didn't quite sink in I guess.

Okay, enough stem cell/ bone marrow transplant education for today.

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home