Friday, January 20, 2006

January is...

(doo doo DOO!)

National Blood Donor Month!

Did you know that you can save lives just by sitting there and maybe eating a cookie and drinking some juice?

People roll their eyes when they hear the "save lives" bit, but it's true. I've seen it my very self. I've seen pale, ill children become pink and healthy before my eyes because nice people donated blood. And did you know? Your one donation of blood could save the life of an adult like you imagine, or it could save the lives of several little bitty babies. Yes, even babies need transfusions— fairly commonly in intensive care units.

What are you doing with your blood? Are you, like, using all of it? I happen to know for a medical fact that most of you have some to spare.

Come on, people. I donated my hair to Locks of Love in June and it STILL hasn't grown back. Gratifying as that was, I could have donated blood several times over by now (i.e. if I met the weight requirement).

I've devoted my career to healing kids. Coming to me are long hours, sleepless nights, stressful responsibilities of making sure children survive in the ICU every single night. I am going to be ordering blood transfusions and I need for there to be blood in the bank when that happens. The least you could do is fill out a form and eat a cookie to make sure it's there.

Yay, PuffinToad!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home