Monday, March 13, 2006

Explain your addiction

The word "addiction" carries a certain stigma. People are afraid to use lip balm or nasal spray because somewhere along the way, someone labeled them "addictive." That's ridiculous.

Addiction, by strict medical definition, may not necessarily mean dependence nor habituation. It simply means that one's body has undergone change to accommodate for the regular intake, use, or application of the thing in question. It is when this physiological change is accompanied by a psychological change, a perceived need for said substance, that dependence and habituation come into play. One can have true physical symptoms of withdrawal without psychological dependence. Examples of this would be the caffeine withdrawal migraine and rebound congestion from prolonged use of nasal spray.

You know what? Nevermind. I don't want to justify the use of the word "addiction" in a medical context at all.

Anyway, because of the aforementioned stigma, most people consider themselves addiction-free. I seriously doubt that is the case.

I think we should have an official "Explain your addiction" day. What do you think? How about March 15? It'd be a day when you have to explain why you're addicted to something. Oh, and on "Explain your addiction" day other people get to point out addictions of which you may not be aware. I think it would force people to realize what they're addicted to and perhaps stop some their unhealthy addictions. Maybe they'd even share some healthy ones. Things like God, air, sleep, and food don't count, silly.

What are your addictions? What are your former addictions? Is there anything to which you wish you were addicted?

Here, I'll go first. It's two days early, but that ought to give you some time to think about it. Since it's early I'll hold off on the explanations.

I am addicted to blogging, knitting, and music (all of these in the psychological sense). I may be addicted to attention and compliments. I am developing an addiction to lazy days.

I wish I were addicted to exercise and a healthful lifestyle.

I used to be addicted to (but was never dependent on) caffeine. I'm not anymore.

Okay. Now you.

1 Comments:

Blogger AlleyCat said...

I am addicted to the Last Minute. I am always several minutes later leaving the house than I planned, due to the last-minute touches taking more than a minute, and late going to bed because of all the things I suddenly remember need to get done right before bedtime (after spending the whole evening watching TV).

Please don't ask me whether I am addicted to watching TV.

2:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home