Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Happy Explain-Your-Addiction Day

"I am addicted to blogging, knitting, and music (all of these in the psychological sense). I may be addicted to attention and compliments. I am developing an addiction to lazy days. I wish I were addicted to exercise and a healthful lifestyle. I used to be addicted to (but was never dependent on) caffeine. I'm not anymore."

1. Blogging. Perhaps I am addicted to the internet as a whole. Part of it is that I believe I may still suffer from a mild form of PhonePhobia. Blogging is an expressive exercise that allows me to stay in contact with old friends and to make silly jokes with strangers all while trying to keep up my writing skills (although my writing skills seem to have deteriorated). There is an element of instant gratification to it, seeing your words published in a polished format instantly. That is why I like it.

2. Knitting. I have already explained this. Most recently I've discovered that I also enjoy watching things come into shape before my very eyes, and it does take a little bit of patience so I may have my feeling of worthwhile accomplishment as well. And the yarns are soft and their colors are preeetty.

3. Music. What can I say? It lives in me. It helps me live. I go into withdrawal (in many senses of the word) if I go too long without hearing it or making it. Once I gave it up for a whole week. I nearly died.

4. Attention and compliments. Obviously. When you grow up without them and suddenly start to receive them, the rush is even more potent. This may be another reason why I have such a fabulous shoe collection.

5. Lazy days. I am happy to report that I am no longer a workaholic. I enjoy my days at home with no particular place to go. Which leads to

6. Exercise and a healthful lifestyle. Know their benefits. Need them. Wish it could be so easy as to be addicted to them so I could just do them.

7. Caffeine. Though my performance improves markedly while I am caffeinated (I still believe my medical school neurology rotation was my best ever because of caffeine), sudden discontinuation after regular mild use triggers the classic caffeine-withdrawal migraine. Right frontal. Terrible, terrible, terrible. So not worth it, and not worth having one's routine enslaved to it (when can I get some coffee? I don't want a headache today).

And I think that does it.

4 Comments:

Blogger MAM said...

Books. Looking at them, touching them, aquiring them, oh yes, no rush like aquiring them. And all the better if they are old and look like no one else at all in the world might have the same one. Then taking them home, finding a place for them on the bookshelf that is has gone through various organizational schemes. when i was little it was by size. then author, then region of origin (i.e. french authors, german, russian, japanese, etc.). Lately it's been subject matter, which requires me to have read everything on my shelf. the ones i have not read are labelled as such. then there is the "gulity" stash, the books that i, as an educated girl, should not be reading. girly books, silly books about clothes and men.
the cookbooks live in the kitchen. they all must have a picture of at least 70% of the dishes explained.
every knitting book must have color pictures.
reading is best done in loooooong stretches, with an apple. at night. once one is finished, another must be snatched up. there are at least three going at all times.

so....i think i may have a problem, no?

2:36 PM  
Blogger Thérèse said...

D'you know, I've been thinking about this for some time now and I don't think I could really explain my addiction to shoes in the space alotted.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Thérèse said...

But I don't have a problem or anything.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Thérèse said...

You know, Marguarita, I love your description.

And I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm addicted to buying old books on bizarre subjects. Like the history of the evolution of the English language from 1890 to 1910. Seriously obscure. Or things that place main characters in NYC in 1950, written in 1950.

I've decided that I really don't have enough cookbooks.

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home