Friday, April 07, 2006

Some photos


These are posted primarily for SuoMies, who probably won't see them unless Saara tells him to look. These photos are of the two chandelier sculptures by Dale Chihuly that hang in Benaroya Symphony Hall in Seattle. The sculptures are entitled Crystal Cascade.

Anyway, straying from my usual best-for-last tendencies, I felt compelled to open with the spiral detail above. That was the best one. In general, my shots were limited by the fact that the pieces were hanging way up above me and in front of giant windows.

Now let's back up a little for some more detail shots. Click on them to see better.





I like the color on that last one but I took it in a hurry and so the composition is a bit off. All of these were taken at the same time of day and in the same lighting. It's amazing how different things look depending on your camera settings.

I didn't get good detail shots of the second chandelier, but the details look so different between the chandeliers I want to show you anyway.





And now we back up some more so that you can see the general shape of the two sculptures. I wish there had been a better vantage point from which to take these.

The first:


The second:


Here is a link to some professional photos taken of the pieces, just so you know what they truly look like. Click through, forward and back, for some cool images.

The end.

3 Comments:

Blogger saara said...

so lovely and fascinating. i will point suomies in this direction! thanks :o)

11:51 AM  
Blogger AlleyCat said...

We attended the Boijmans van Beuningen museum in Rotterdam this weekend where they had, amongst their glass objects displayed, a Chihuly sculpture being blue and undulating and less than a cubic foot in volume (both actual and negative), and somewhat organic but significantly less so than the chandeliers here pictured.

I wanted to link my comment to the website of said museum but it is so disappointing. The website, I mean.

3:39 PM  
Blogger CamoBunny said...

indeed, indeed i did. it was super cool, way cooler than just seeing photos.

i missed the opportunity to see them at night though. you should go if you get the chance.

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home