Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Public Service Announcements

Because we at the Prickly Pineapple are concerned over your health and well-being, we take this break to inform you of the following.

1) A child can drown in as little as two inches of water. July is the peak month for water-related morbidity and mortality. Flotation devices such as water wings and other floaty toys do not decrease the incidence of submersion events. It takes less than one minute of submersion for brain damage to begin. Please limit your family's activities wisely and accordingly.

2) Bats carry rabies more frequently than any other animal. If you see one, call animal control. Do not attempt to capture it yourself. If you see one in the daytime, it is most likely a sick one. Bat scratches/bites are often not apparent on children. If you have children and find a bat in your house, seek medical attention for them immediately.

That is all.

2 Comments:

Blogger A. Klemmer said...

The day my older son at almost three went in for his annual physical was the day my younger son at almost one went from perfectly healthy to so sick on the car trip to the doc's he took my older son's appointment and was quickly hospitalized. And that was also the day that as I later talked to the babysitter who would watch my older son so I could check in with my wife and younger son at the hospital that my older son found and touched the bat in our backyard which, in turn, was lost for five days by animal control but did, indeed, test positive for rabies. And that led to a visit to the emergency room of the same hospital my younger son checked into exactly one week earlier so that my older son could start his series of seven (thank God, not 30, as it used to be) rabies shots. And that was the most stressful week of parenting I've experienced. So far.

11:43 PM  
Blogger CamoBunny said...

oh! andré! that is awful!

but now your sons are 12 and 14? and they're okay?

and this means my p.s.a. was not completely pointless after all!

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home